Thursday 26 May 2011

A teaser...Chapter 41.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6296736/40/

Chapter 40 has now been posted. As I'm not entirely sure at this point if 41 will make it's scheduled date, I decided to post the teaser on here as well as sending it out as a review reply. It is unbetaed, mind, so it's subject to editing.

Edward POV.


“What’s up, Jay?” I said quietly, approaching the bed and pulling up a chair.

Jasper looked up at me, a puzzled frown crossing his face. “Two days? I don’t understand. What day is it?”

Technically, its Tuesday now...you’ve been here since Sunday.” I paused noting the way Jasper had his arms wrapped around his chest now Alice was gone. “Are you cold?”

“A little,” Jasper said absently.

I rose and crossed the room to snag the blanket Emmett had brought Alice from home. Jasper smirked slightly when he saw it and I arranged it cautiously over him, taking care not to knock or jostle him. I sat back in my chair as Jasper shifted slightly to make himself more comfortable. Moving seemed to be causing him some discomfort so I waited patiently until he was ready to talk again.

“Thanks,” he said softly.

“No worries. So...do you remember what happened at all?”

“Not really, it’s all a little hazy. I remember the softball game; I think...how did I get here?” Jasper’s voice gave out on his last few words so I reached above him for the cup of ice chips that Leah had left him and put one lightly against his lips, encouraging him to take it in his mouth. I didn’t want to put any fluids in his orally just yet but his throat was bound to be sore from the ET tube and his mouth would be dry from all the meds he was on. Jasper sucked obediently on the ice and looked at me expectantly.

“Emmett brought you in. Mom was worried, apparently you didn’t look so good on Saturday and she sent Emmett to check up on you. He found you on the kitchen floor on Sunday.”

“Shit,” Jasper muttered quietly. “What was it?”

“An obstruction caused by adhesions,” I said and I then proceeded to fill him in on everything that had happened to him since he came in. I was right in my suspicions that he did have a sound medical knowledge, he knew what everything was and the questions he asked me lead me to believe that he understood everything I’d told him. I showed him how to hold his abdomen if he wanted to cough or take a deep breath and I helped him sit up slightly by raising the bed. 

It wasn’t easy to talk to him like he was a patient. He was staring at the central line in his chest and it was hard when I had to tell him he couldn’t go home until it was out. It was going to be a long road back for Jasper and now that I knew a little of difficult it had been for him last time, I felt even worse for him.

END.

Yeah, I know. It's not easy reading, and it doesn't seem fair that he has to go through this again. But, I think it's important to remember that Jasper suffered some really serious injuries. It's not like in films where the hero gets shot and is jumping off buildings again half an hour later. This is real life, and Jasper's a real hero, not some made up, contrived one.

I know which I prefer.

Until next time...

koko

No comments:

Post a Comment